Free Gift Transfers in Comics
Page 13 of 20
Marvel UK Transformers Nos.1-3, 20th September - 31st October 1984 — Free Action Transfers
There's not much to say about these, except that Transformers fans seem to be even more willing than Star Wars fans to fork out huge sums for obscure items, which explains why we don't have them in the SPLAT Scan Archives. The images on this page have been very kindly supplied by Pete Carroll — many thanks!
However, no sooner did he send in his images than another batch, nearly identical, came in from Phil Cutler of robotrecruits.co.uk. So thanks to him as well. It certainly is appreciated when people make the effort to contribute — even if there is some duplication, as here. Much better that than no images to display at all!
It seems that the full-page scene from the left-hand centre page of No.1 was intended as a background for both transfer sheets from the first two issues.
The transfers are referred to as "Action Transfers" (with logo), putting them firmly in the grasp of Thomas Salter. They have no serial numbers. Since Letraset produced at least one set of iron-on transfers (Rupert transfers for Brown & Poulson, in 1972), & had referred to iron-ons in trade advertising as a desirable commodity, it's plausible that this iron-on transfer may also have had Letraset/Thomas Salter connections; however, that would be purely conjectural, since there's no evidence either way at the moment.
Other pages in this article about Free Gift Transfers in Comics:
- ← Cor!! No.2, 13th June 1970 — Anglo Bell Boy Double Treat — Somportex Combat Bubble Gum
- ← Michelino: 1, 2 & 3, 1971-1972 (PR130)
- ← Look-In No.8 (of volume 7) week ending 19th February 1977 — Action Transfers (SAT Carnival)
- ← Wall's / Look In No.11 (of volume 8), week ending 11th March 1978 — "Star Wars" Transfers Offer
- ← TV Comic: 1377 5th May 1978 & 1378 12th May 1978 — Skateboard Iron-On Action Transfers
- ← Look-In No.40 (of volume 8) week ending 30th September 1978 — Free Kalkitos Fun Transfer Kit
- ← TV Comic Nos.1452 & 1453, 12th & 19th October 1979 — Hanna-Barbera Transfers
- ← Whizzer and Chips, Monday 13th October 1979 — Free Gift Kalkitos
- ← Marvel UK: Doctor Who Weekly Nos.1-4, October 17th - November 7th 1979 — Transfers by Dave Gibbons
- ← Marvel UK: The Empire Strikes Back Weekly No.118, May 29th 1980 / Dairylea — Star Wars Transfers
- ← TV Comic: 1530 17th April to 1533 15th May 1981 (4 issues) — Popeye Transfers (LP147)
- ← Eagle: 17th December, 23rd December 1983 — Ultraman Poster & Transfer (LP221)
- Marvel UK: Transformers Nos.1-3, 20th September - 31st October 1984 — Free Action Transfers — this page; see above ↑
- Marvel UK: Spider-Man No.607, 27th October 1984 — Free Rub Down Spider-Man Transfers →
- Splat Comic No.1, 27th February 1985 — Terrifically Terrible Transfers (Tattooze) →
- Marvel UK: Secret Wars No.1, 27th April 1985 — Free Secret Wars Rub Down Transfers →
- Marvel UK: Return of the Jedi Nos.97-99, 27th April - 11th May 1985 — Free Ewok Transfers →
- Marvel UK: The Spider-Man Comic Nos.634-635, 4th-11th May 1985 — Free Action Rub-Down Transfers →
- Katy No.1, 31st October 1986 — Colour Transfers Free Inside →
- Disney Magazine (UK) & Micky Maus (Germany) — 1984-1991 →
Picture Credit: Pete Carroll — Phil Cutler