Free Gift Transfers in Comics
Page 9 of 20
Marvel UK Doctor Who Weekly Nos.1-4, October 17th - November 7th 1979 — Transfers by Dave Gibbons
Hmmm. User input error, not a scanner malfunction. Still, I'm sure you can mentally reverse the phase polarity of the above images to put the issues in correct chronological order. Or just read each one right-to-left.
It's nice to see some quality craftsmanship in a transfer for a change. Thank you, Dave Gibbons!
Serial numbers: LP105/1, LP105/2, LP105/3 & LP105/4.
This was a busy month for Letraset promotions; first the TV Comic Hanna-Barbera transfers, then the free Kalkitos in "Whizzer and Chips", & now four weeks of Doctor Who.
Letraset had purchased the toy companies Merit & Thomas Salter in 1978, & then Stanley Gibbons (the Stamps company) in 1979. The latter purchase turned out horribly wrong for Letraset, so perhaps they were aware that they were over-extended & were pushing harder in other areas — such as free gifts in comics!
N.B.: as far as I'm aware, there is no connection between the artist Dave Gibbons & the stamp company Stanley Gibbons… or Orlando Gibbons, the Elizabethan composer. But I'm always happy to be informed!
Other pages in this article about Free Gift Transfers in Comics:
- ← Cor!! No.2, 13th June 1970 — Anglo Bell Boy Double Treat — Somportex Combat Bubble Gum
- ← Michelino: 1, 2 & 3, 1971-1972 (PR130)
- ← Look-In No.8 (of volume 7) week ending 19th February 1977 — Action Transfers (SAT Carnival)
- ← Wall's / Look In No.11 (of volume 8), week ending 11th March 1978 — "Star Wars" Transfers Offer
- ← TV Comic: 1377 5th May 1978 & 1378 12th May 1978 — Skateboard Iron-On Action Transfers
- ← Look-In No.40 (of volume 8) week ending 30th September 1978 — Free Kalkitos Fun Transfer Kit
- ← TV Comic Nos.1452 & 1453, 12th & 19th October 1979 — Hanna-Barbera Transfers
- ← Whizzer and Chips, Monday 13th October 1979 — Free Gift Kalkitos
- Marvel UK: Doctor Who Weekly Nos.1-4, October 17th - November 7th 1979 — Transfers by Dave Gibbons — this page; see above ↑
- Marvel UK: The Empire Strikes Back Weekly No.118, May 29th 1980 / Dairylea — Star Wars Transfers →
- TV Comic: 1530 17th April to 1533 15th May 1981 (4 issues) — Popeye Transfers (LP147) →
- Eagle: 17th December, 23rd December 1983 — Ultraman Poster & Transfer (LP221) →
- Marvel UK: Transformers Nos.1-3, 20th September - 31st October 1984 — Free Action Transfers →
- Marvel UK: Spider-Man No.607, 27th October 1984 — Free Rub Down Spider-Man Transfers →
- Splat Comic No.1, 27th February 1985 — Terrifically Terrible Transfers (Tattooze) →
- Marvel UK: Secret Wars No.1, 27th April 1985 — Free Secret Wars Rub Down Transfers →
- Marvel UK: Return of the Jedi Nos.97-99, 27th April - 11th May 1985 — Free Ewok Transfers →
- Marvel UK: The Spider-Man Comic Nos.634-635, 4th-11th May 1985 — Free Action Rub-Down Transfers →
- Katy No.1, 31st October 1986 — Colour Transfers Free Inside →
- Disney Magazine (UK) & Micky Maus (Germany) — 1984-1991 →
Picture Credit: The SPLAT Scan Archives