Free Gift Transfers in Comics
Page 6 of 20
Look-In No.40 (of volume 8) week ending 30th September 1978 — Free Kalkitos Fun Transfer Kit
What a lovable clown Mr. Kalkitos is.
The Times for Friday February 3rd 1978 announced a joint venture between Gillette & Letraset to produce Kalkitos, after a "pilot scheme". In fact, Kalkitos had been being produced since 1976 (many are dated 1975), but if you take this to mean that Kalkitos would now be available in the UK for the first time, then you can see that this promotion is designed to introduce the range.
From the close-up of page 5, you can read that there were 28 titles at the time, with standard size kits 17p & maxi size 39p. We haven't tracked down the TV ad yet.
Shown here for size comparison is the free gift that came with this comic, alongside the standard size kit that came with "Whizzer and Chips" just over a year later (see Page 6).
"A small sample pack for you. See the whole range where you buy your comics."
Other pages in this article about Free Gift Transfers in Comics:
- ← Cor!! No.2, 13th June 1970 — Anglo Bell Boy Double Treat — Somportex Combat Bubble Gum
- ← Michelino: 1, 2 & 3, 1971-1972 (PR130)
- ← Look-In No.8 (of volume 7) week ending 19th February 1977 — Action Transfers (SAT Carnival)
- ← Wall's / Look In No.11 (of volume 8), week ending 11th March 1978 — "Star Wars" Transfers Offer
- ← TV Comic: 1377 5th May 1978 & 1378 12th May 1978 — Skateboard Iron-On Action Transfers
- Look-In No.40 (of volume 8) week ending 30th September 1978 — Free Kalkitos Fun Transfer Kit — this page; see above ↑
- TV Comic Nos.1452 & 1453, 12th & 19th October 1979 — Hanna-Barbera Transfers →
- Whizzer and Chips, Monday 13th October 1979 — Free Gift Kalkitos →
- Marvel UK: Doctor Who Weekly Nos.1-4, October 17th - November 7th 1979 — Transfers by Dave Gibbons →
- Marvel UK: The Empire Strikes Back Weekly No.118, May 29th 1980 / Dairylea — Star Wars Transfers →
- TV Comic: 1530 17th April to 1533 15th May 1981 (4 issues) — Popeye Transfers (LP147) →
- Eagle: 17th December, 23rd December 1983 — Ultraman Poster & Transfer (LP221) →
- Marvel UK: Transformers Nos.1-3, 20th September - 31st October 1984 — Free Action Transfers →
- Marvel UK: Spider-Man No.607, 27th October 1984 — Free Rub Down Spider-Man Transfers →
- Splat Comic No.1, 27th February 1985 — Terrifically Terrible Transfers (Tattooze) →
- Marvel UK: Secret Wars No.1, 27th April 1985 — Free Secret Wars Rub Down Transfers →
- Marvel UK: Return of the Jedi Nos.97-99, 27th April - 11th May 1985 — Free Ewok Transfers →
- Marvel UK: The Spider-Man Comic Nos.634-635, 4th-11th May 1985 — Free Action Rub-Down Transfers →
- Katy No.1, 31st October 1986 — Colour Transfers Free Inside →
- Disney Magazine (UK) & Micky Maus (Germany) — 1984-1991 →
Picture Credit: The SPLAT Scan Archives